The bad: this project started as a learning exercise, then transformed itself into a real sweater I could wear and finally went back to a giant swatch after I tried it on last. A few things went very wrong. But that's ok: it is made out of six skeins which cost me $1.29 each, so total (even including taxes and shipping), it is still a self-taught knitting class much cheaper than a Craftsy class!
The good: while I was knitting the first sleeve, I found new techniques to try. Most of these techniques come from the TECHknitting blog. When I started the sweater, I was reading this blog from the alphabetic index, and I was around letter "J" - for "jogless stripes". I then moved down the index and started letter "R" - for "ribbing". I am therefore trying to improve my knit column in the ribbing and my ribbing transition.
To complete this sweater, I still have to make one last phoney seam on the sleeve, finish the last sleeve cuff and make sure all my ends are properly weaved in. The most important step, however, will be to do a thorough post-mortem for this exercise. I want to identify all problem and try to fix them in.... the Try-It-Out Sweater #2 (yes! I still have some of that cheap yarn!).
I still have Gabrielle's cardigan to finish. I finally made my trip to my LYS to buy the zipper I needed.... but was such in a hurry (with my 4 month old and my 3 year old) that I bought a zipper open at one end only. Zut! Must go again....
Finally, I will need to fight myself to finish these projects before casting on this wonderful yarn received from Iceland this week!
I want to make the Top Down Icelandic Sweater and featured in the Craftsy class for the girls' godmother. I promised her a sweater a long time ago. I finally got her measurements down and chose this sweater for her. I am sure she'll look fabulous in it! I can't wait: that will be my first steek!!
So tune in Friday for the Try-It-Out post-mortem! In the meantime, check out other projects in progress through Tami's and Ginny's blogs!